- One of the first women to start her own independent production company.
- Earned her way to stardom without sleeping with executives for roles.
- Refused to date people for publicity just because 20th Century Fox wanted her to.
- Left 20th Century Fox because she refused to let them get away with treating her badly and paying her a tiny wage, just because of her “dumb blonde” image.
- Was only paid a fraction of her co-star’s wage even though she was the star of the movies and the biggest box office pull, but still went ahead with the movies because she was so passionate about acting.
- Studied method acting at the Actors Studio with Lee Strasberg, who said that she was one of his best students along with Marlon Brando.
- Had a personal library of over 500 books and rarely read fiction - she was desperate to learn and educate herself.
- Was sexually abused as a child but then went on to encourage the sexual liberation of women in the 1950s.
- One of the first people to speak openly about sexual abuse.
- One of the first people to openly support gay rights.
- Supported many charities such as the Milk Fund, March of Dimes, Arthritis and Rheumatism foundation.
- Donated her time and money to these charities.
- Visited orphanages and hospitals on her own time to surprise the people there.
- Married one of the greatest literary minds of the 20th century
- Suffered two miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy and still put on a brave face for her fans.
Sorry, did you say she wasn’t a role model?
marilyn is my biggest role model so don’t even go there
and let’s not forget this
Ella Fitzgerald was not allowed to play at the popular Mocambo, in Hollywood, because of her race. Marilyn, who loved her music and supported civil rights, called the owner of the Mocambo and told him that if he booked Ella immediately, she would take a front table every night. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. After that, Ella never had to play in a small jazz club again.
"She was an unusual woman – a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it." - Ella Fitzgerald about Marilyn Monroe
OH SHIT YOU JUST GOT SERVED
I got goosebumps reading this. Amazing.
Translation: “Oh boo hoo! How dare The Daily Show confront me with the people my blatantly racist attitudes are actually hurting! How dare they be given a chance to say their piece, and how dare they be angry with me for being a piece of ignorant trash! Waaah! I’m white, I shouldn’t have to deal with the consequences of my actions!”
reminder: ferguson and palestine are still happening and are still important even though there’s less attention being paid to them right now
there comes a point in your life you have to look at yourself and say “i’ve read some really weird fanfics”
this is one of those posts where i recommend everyone use tag viewer
richmond park, the largest of london’s royal parks, is home to 630 red and fallow deer, some of whom are photographed here by dan istitene in a bracken thicket. (see also: dan kitwood’s photos from richmond park)
THERE’S NOTHING MORE IRRITATING THAN SONGS THAT YOU DON’T LIKE BUT ARE CATCHY
OMFG this is brilliant
I HAVE BEEN LAUGHING AT THIS FOR LIKE 10 MINUTES STRAIGHT OH MY GODD
Ignoring Cas’s blunt and completely hilarious sense of dry humor for a moment, think about what he’s actually saying here. Castiel is the name given to him by God. Castiel translates roughly to ‘my cover is God’ or ‘shield of God’ in Biblical theophory—the ‘el’ suffix means ‘God’, and ‘iel’ means ‘of God.’ Cas is the name given to him by Dean. Deliberately or not, Dean removed the part of Cas’s name that means ‘of God’, and left him with ‘shield’. Castiel isn’t actually a Biblical angel—it’s a variant of the name ‘Cassiel’, who was an archangel in the Kabbalah responsible for observing the Earth with no interference. Making it up as we go, indeed.